Monday, April 2, 2007

S'il vous plaît, un Quesadilla Burger


I've been alive for a little over 1400 weeks. Greater New York City has somewhere in the neighborhood of 6000 restaurants.

Those overwhelming statistics are affecting me in various ways; I feel lazy for having gone to the same place for brunch TWICE since I've been here - there's no time to play favorites fool! - yet at the same time I have a sense of purpose and a lofty culinary goal to strive towards.

I'll obviously be eating at 12 new places every week from here on out.

Or will I? Probably, yes...yes I will. Or will I? Should quantity hold sway over quality when it comes to food, just because it does in nearly every other aspect of life?

No, I say. While in New York I will let the high quality of the few select eateries that have proven themselves to be among the finest in the world empty my wallet and fill my stomach.

Or will I?

I am in the city with the most audaciously stupid and expensive food in America...I'd be an idiot to pass up the $50 burger from DB Bistro Moderne, made with sirloin steak, a filling of boned short ribs braised in red wine, foie gras, and preserved black truffles. Who in his right mind wouldn't get the $50 martini from The World Bar, a mix of Remy XO and Pineau des Charentes, freshly pressed grape juice, topped with Veuve Clicquot champagne and a touch of 23-karat edible liquid gold? I wanna go jogging with a Nalgene full of that stuff.

New York food is going to be about new things and first times. First times....new things.

So where did I end up this weekend for the first time? What culinary cherry did I have popped?

A little place called Applebee's...a place I had sworn I would never enter before Ragnarok.

I had the Quesadilla Burger and a Diet Coke. I entertained ordering a Black Cherry Razzle-Rita to wash it all down. The legends of NASCAR wall to the right of the 5 plasma screens and fake trophy case was well designed...a nice touch.

New things indeed.

No comments: